Your Yorkie sleeps on top of you because you provide them comfort and security. They value you and want to provide the same.
It’s not uncommon for Yorkies, or dogs in general, to enjoy sleeping on top of their owners.
Table of Contents
There are a few possible reasons why your Yorkie may choose to do so:
- Comfort and Security: Dogs are pack animals and have a natural instinct to seek closeness and security. Sleeping on top of you provides them with a sense of comfort, warmth, and protection. Your presence and scent can be soothing to them, making them feel safe and secure.
- Bonding and Affection: Sleeping together promotes bonding and strengthens the emotional connection between you and your Yorkie. Dogs are social animals that thrive on companionship, and sharing sleeping space allows for increased physical closeness and affection.
- Temperature Regulation: Dogs, including Yorkies, have a higher body temperature than humans. By sleeping on top of you, they can absorb your body heat, which helps regulate their own body temperature. This behavior is more common during colder seasons or in homes with cooler temperatures.
- Reinforcement of Hierarchy: Dogs have a hierarchical mindset, and when a Yorkie sleeps on top of you, it may be a way for them to establish or reinforce their position in the pack. By claiming the higher position, they may perceive themselves as being in charge or dominant. However, it’s essential to establish clear boundaries and reinforce your role as the pack leader through consistent training and positive reinforcement.
- Attention and Interaction: Your Yorkie may simply enjoy the attention and interaction that comes from being close to you. By sleeping on top of you, they have a higher chance of receiving pets, cuddles, and verbal reassurance, which are all sources of pleasure and affection for them.
Why Does My Yorkie Sleep On Top of Me?
Laying close to their owner is also a Yorkshire Terrier way of protecting what they love, even if there is aren’t dangers or threats lurking nearby
Other reasons canines rest on their owner include:
- It finds it more comfortable
- It is being protective
- It demands attention
- It is warmer and safer
- It shows you love
- It suffers from separation anxiety.
- It is waiting for something.
ALSO SEE: Why Does My Yorkie Sleep So Close To Me?
What to do about Your Dog Laying On Top of You?
Do you need your dog to quit lying on top of you? Follow the following steps:
- Never encourage the behavior
- Provide it a doggy bed for the best comfort
- Enroll him in a training program
- Speak to your vet about ways your canine can be cured of separation anxiety.
If you don’t mind your Yorkie sleeping on top of you, there’s no harm in allowing it. However, if you prefer to establish different sleeping arrangements, you can gently train your Yorkie to sleep in their own designated area by providing a comfortable bed or crate. Consistency, positive reinforcement, and patience will be key in teaching them this new behavior.
It’s important to note that individual dogs may have unique preferences and behaviors. If you’re concerned about your Yorkie’s sleeping habits or if there are sudden changes in their behavior, it’s always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian to rule out any underlying health issues or discomfort that may be contributing to their behavior.